Call for young composers
Who and What: Back by popular demand, Quatuor Bozzini is returning once again to their intensive workshop on string writing. Hosted by the Department of Music at Concordia University (QC), this workshop is intended for students from all countries who are enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree in composition, or who have recently graduated. Composer Philippe Leroux will act as a mentor, alongside the quartet.
The workshop aims to improve technical skills in writing contemporary music for string quartet instruments, and to generate creative ideas in an open and stimulating environment.
Accepted participants must produce in advance: 1) a thematic composition exercise and 2) sketches for a “free-choice” piece. Note that it is not mandatory to arrive with a finished work at the workshop. The workshop will conclude with a public concert on the evening of May 11, 2019, showcasing the work accomplished during the week.
Costs: The workshop fee is $700 (CAD). Participants will be expected to arrange their own travel and accommodation.
Where: Montreal, Canada. The program will take place in the John Molson Building at Concordia University in downtown Montreal.
When: May 6-11, 2019
Application deadline: March 28, 2019 (results mid-April)
Interested applicants should submit: a resume; live (if possible) recordings of two recent compositions with their corresponding parts/scores (if possible, one chamber music example); and a concise proposition for a creatively ambitious new work for string quartet.
Please note that we are only accepting electronic applications at this time.
1. Complete the application form
2. Two (2) audio examples, .mp3 or .m4a (no .aiff or .wav accepted) files clearly labeled; if possible, one chamber music piece
3. Two scores in .PDF format, files clearly labeled; the same as the audio files submitted, if possible
4. Your CV in .PDF format
5. ONLY if the online upload service does not work, send documents pertaining to questions 3-5 to email@example.com via WeTransfer.
6. As a confirmation, send a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you have sent your application.