Call for Composers’ Kitchen 2020
Quatuor Bozzini and Gaudeamus Muziekweek
25 October 2019 – For its 3rd partnership with Gaudeamus Muziekweek in the Netherlands, Quatuor Bozzini invites Canadian (or permanent resident) composers to apply for Composers’ Kitchen 2020.
This is a PROFESSIONAL RESIDENCY for composers who will write a new piece for string quartet, in a combination of workshop, laboratory, master class and concert settings.
|April 25 to May 2, 2020||First period and concert in Montreal (Canada) AND|
|September 7 to 11, 2020||Second period and concert in 75th edition of Gaudeamus|
Muziekweek in Utrecht (Netherlands)
Please note that the costs of the international period is covered (transport, per diem, accomodation)
Details of the development process: The resident composers will bring sketches to develop a new string quartet across 2 defined periods. The compositions will be read, played, assessed, analysed, worked on, played again and performed in a presentation concert in Montreal Spring 2020. In the second period, in Utrecht, the pieces from the Montreal portion will be refreshed and revised prior to a final performance in the Netherlands in Fall 2020.
The resident composers will:
- Develop the work in an intimate and concentrated setting, accompanied by QB and mentor composers Nicole Lizée and Mayke Nas: a time and space to try things “live”. While most of the week is spent together there is also time for one-on-one with mentor composers.
- Give a presentation (30-45min) of their recent work.
- Get to know the quartet by engaging with their activity throughout the project: composers can have the opportunity to discuss aspects of the working life of the quartet including programming, planning tours and events, funding, marketing and audience development.
• you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
• you must be available for both periods and have time to create a new quartet for the group.
• this must represent a significant development opportunity for you
How to apply:
Please note that we only accept electronic applications on the Quatuor Bozzini website. (quatuorbozzini.ca)
1. Complete the application form
2. Two (2) audio examples, .mp3 or .m4a (no .aiff or .wav accepted) files clearly labeled; if possible, one piece with strings.
3. Two scores in .PDF format, files clearly labeled; the same as the audio files submitted, if possible
4. Your CV in .PDF format
5. As a confirmation, send a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you have sent your application.
|December 1, 2019||Deadline for applications (late applications will not be considered)|
|December 9, 2019||Notification of interviews|
|December 11-12, 2019||Interviews via Skype|
Since 1999, the Bozzini Quartet has been an original voice in new, experimental and classical music. Their skew is radically contemporary, propelling the hyper-creative Montréal scene, and beyond. With rigorous qualitative criteria, they have nurtured a vastly diverse repertoire, unbiased by the currents of fashion. This has led to over a hundred and eighty commissioned pieces, as well as close to three hundred other premiered works. A Bozzini Quartet concert is an art happening, with meticulous and sensuous attention to detail. Appearances in leading international festivals and major venues includes Gaudeamus Muziekweek, HCMF, Klangspüren, NovemberMusic, FIMAV, Kortrijk, Ultima, Muziekgebouw and Tsuda Hall. The Bozzini Quartet supports widly the younger generation of composers through workshops, notably their Composer’s Kitchen. The quartet runs its own recording label, Collection QB, and has issued critically acclaimed albums, many of which have become reference recordings in the discipline.