Call for young composers
Where: the Department of Music at Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
When: August 21 to 29, 2017
Who: Acclaimed Montreal string quartet, Quatuor Bozzini, will give an intensive workshop on composing for strings. Hosted by the Department of Music at Concordia University, the workshop is intended for students who are in undergraduate or graduate composition programs, or who have recently graduated. Besides the quartet, Cassandra Miller (CAN/UK) will be the mentor composer.
The goals of the workshop are to improve technical skills for contemporary writing for strings and string quartet, and to provide a supportive environment for visionary compositional ideas.
Those accepted to the workshop will be given composition exercises and 1 “free-choice” piece as a starting point for the week’s work, which they will be expected to prepare in advance. Finished works for string quartet are not required by the start of the course.
A public concert will be held on August 29, 2017 to present work done during the workshop.
Eight composers will be accepted; cost is CAD $800. Participants will be expected to arrange their own travel and accommodation. The program will take place in the John Molson Building at Concordia University in downtown Montreal.
Applicants should submit
1) scores and
2) live recordings (if available) of two recent compositions (if possible one chamber music piece),
3) a short outline for a creatively ambitious new work for string quartet, and
4) a resumé, to: email@example.com (see details below).
Deadline for applications to be received is Monday, June 19, 2017. Participants will be announced by late June.
Application procedure — deadline June 19, 2017
Applicants please follow the directions below. Note that we are accepting electronic applications only.
1. Complete the following application form (in Word or LibreOffice-www.libreoffice.org)
1. Personal information
2. Why would you like to become involved? (200 words MAX)
3. How do you feel you would benefit from Bozzini Lab? (200 words MAX)
4. What areas of your practice are you keen to explore or develop? (400 words MAX)
2. Save your completed version of this form as a PDF file with a new name as follows: yourlastname_BLM2017form.PDF
3. Two sound examples, .mp3 or .m4a (no .aiff or .wav accepted) files clearly labeled; if possible, one chamber music piece
4. Two scores in .PDF format, files clearly labeled
5. Your CV in .PDF format
6. ONLY if the online upload service does not work, send remaining documents to firstname.lastname@example.org via WeTransfer-www.wetransfer.com, or other online file transfer service.
7. As a confirmation, send a separate email to email@example.com to let us know that you have sent your application.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.