Call for young composers
Where: School for the Contemporary Arts, Simon Fraser University (SFU), Vancouver
When: May 8 to 16, 2017
Who: Acclaimed Montreal string quartet, Quatuor Bozzini, will give an intensive workshop on composing for strings. Hosted by the School for the Contemporary Arts at SFU, the workshop is intended for students who are in undergraduate or graduate composition programs, or who have recently graduated. Besides the quartet, composers Owen Underhill (SFU) and Christopher Butterfield (UVic) will act as mentors.
The goals of the workshop are to improve technical skills for contemporary writing for strings and string quartet, and to provide a supportive environment for visionary and experimental compositional ideas.
Those accepted to the workshop will be given composition exercises and 1 “free-choice” piece as a starting point for the week’s work, which they will be expected to prepare in advance. Finished works for string quartet are not required by the start of the course.
A public presentation will be held at the end of the session to present work done during the workshop.
Ten composers will be accepted; cost is CAN $800. Participants will be expected to arrange their own travel and accommodation. The program will take place in Simon Fraser University’s new cultural facility, the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, in downtown Vancouver.
Applicants should submit 1) scores and 2) live recordings (if available) of two recent compositions (if possible one chamber music,) 3) a short outline for a creatively ambitious new work for string quartet and 4) a resumé, to: firstname.lastname@example.org (see details below). Deadline for applications to be received is February 10, 2017. Participants will be announced by early March.
Application procedure — deadline February 10, 2017
Applicants please follow the directions below.
Note that we are accepting electronic applications only.
1. Complete the following application form (in Word or LibreOffice-www.libreoffice.org)
1. Personal information
2. Why would you like to become involved? (200 words MAX)
3. How do you feel you would benefit from Bozzini Lab? (200 words MAX)
4. What areas of your practice are you keen to explore or develop? (400 words MAX)
2. Save your completed version of this form as a PDF file with a new name as follows: yourlastname_BLV2017form.PDF
3. Two sound examples, .mp3 or .m4a (no .aiff or .wav accepted) files clearly labeled; if possible, one chamber music piece
4. Two scores in .PDF format, files clearly labeled
5. Your CV in .PDF format
6. ONLY if the online upload service does not work, send remaining documents to email@example.com via WeTransfert-www.wetransfer.com, or other online file transfer service.
7. As a confirmation, send a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know that you have sent your application.
For more information, contact us at email@example.com