BOZZINI LAB – VANCOUVER WORKSHOP MAY 2018
Call for young composers
Where: School for the Contemporary Arts, Simon Fraser University (SFU), Vancouver
When: May 21 to 29, 2018
Who: Acclaimed Montreal string quartet, Quatuor Bozzini, will give an intensive workshop on composing for strings. Hosted by the School for the Contemporary Arts at SFU, the workshop is intended for students from any country who are in undergraduate or graduate composition programs, or who have recently graduated. Besides the quartet, composers Owen Underhill (SFU) and Christopher Butterfield (UVic) will act as mentors.
The goals of the workshop are to improve technical skills for contemporary writing for strings and string quartet, and to provide a supportive environment for visionary and experimental compositional ideas.
Those accepted to the workshop are expected to prepare in advance: 1) composition exercises and 2) sketches for one “free-choice” piece. Finished works for string quartet are not required by the start of the course.
A public presentation will be held on the evening of May 29, 2018 to present work done during the workshop.
Ten composers will be accepted; cost is $800 (CAD). Participants will be expected to arrange their own travel and accommodation. The program will take place in Simon Fraser University’s new cultural facility, the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, in downtown Vancouver.
Applicants should submit 1) scores and 2) live recordings (if available) of two recent compositions (if possible one chamber music,) 3) a short outline for a creatively ambitious new work for string quartet and 4) a resumé, to: email@example.com (see details below). Deadline for applications to be received is March 15, 2018. Participants will be announced by late March.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE — deadline March 15, 2018
Applicants please follow the directions below. Note that we are accepting electronic applications only.
1.Complete the following application form
- Personal information
- What areas of your practice are you keen to explore or develop?
2. Save your completed version of this form as a PDF file with a new name as follows: yourlastname_BLV2018form.PDF
3. Two sound examples, .mp3 or .m4a (no .aiff or .wav accepted) files clearly labeled; if possible, one chamber music piece
4. Two scores in .PDF format, files clearly labeled
5. Your CV in .PDF format
1. ONLY if the online upload service does not work, send remaining documents to firstname.lastname@example.org via WeTransfer, or other online file transfer service.
2. As a confirmation, send a separate email to email@example.com to let us know that you have sent your application.
*For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Thursday March 15, 2018
Late applications cannot be considered
Shortlisted composers will be notified by late March 2018